Yeah, I haven't been blogging lately. I'm not sure why. I've been keeping busy. A lot has changed since I last posted. First off I'm a senior now. It's so weird. I don't know where I'll be living when May rolls around. Hopefully I'll be able to find a job somewhere doing something I love! I figured since I'm restarting this blogging thing I should go back and look at my old posts. A few things I noticed were that my favorites list hasn't changed, except that I prefer cranberry juice to apple juice and German chocolate cake lattes to white chocolate mochas. I did not complete most of the things on my age 19 goal list. I did work at Camp St. Albans for the past 3 years! I also saw an R rated movie in theaters (Bridesmaids)! And I went to Olive Garden, but I did that when I was 21. I also learned more at camp working there for 2 more years.
I learned that:
1) Coffee is not necessary
2) Some of the hardest workers never get thanked
3) Never assume that you have ripe bananas even if the banana box is full
4) Working in the kitchen gets you ripped!
5) Doing homework at camp sucks
6) It's nice to not be the tallest in the kitchen all of the time
7) It's terrifying to watch children use knives even if they are doing it exactly how you taught them
8) Having a good attitude will help everyone!
9) Country music will forever remind me of camp, it makes studying better
10) Don't try to rely on the camp internet when you have homework due
11) When possible wired internet is better than wireless
12) Cooking meat is gross
13) I can still cook meat
14) Offer help whenever you can, it makes you feel good
15) Hanging out with the kids is the best part of camp
16) NEVER SKIP CAMPFIRE, I did once, and the kids included me in their song :(
17) You will learn which bands the children like because they are singing all the songs!
18) You will learn the songs popular with the kids by the end of summer
19) Trip units don't eat as much food as you'd expect
20) Going to cookouts is fun
21) Going on adventures with the kitchen staff is more fun!
22) Horses can change in a year
23) Sometimes you don't get to pick what you do, and it will be okay
24) Sometimes what you weren't planning was exactly what you needed!
25) Using processed food to feed special diets is expensive!
So the story behind some of those is that the summer of 2012 I worked as a wrangler again. The summer of 2013 I was planning on staying with my parents and working at a local boarding kennel to get more experience with dogs. Plans fell through and I decided to apply to camp. I ended up working in the kitchen as the pack-out cook! Wouldn't you know it was probably my favorite summer there! The position does not make the job. The person in it does. I spent about 30 hours a week working in the kitchen/grocery shopping. The rest of the time I spent doing homework (taking online classes so I'd be on track with my double degree), taking pictures, hanging out with the staff who were on their break in the lounge, helping at horse haven, hanging out with Gable and her unit doing whatever, enjoying campfire, and just loving being at camp. I spent my time in 2012 thinking it would be my last but 2013 was definitely the perfect ending to my camp time. Working in the kitchen gave me not only new experiences but also the freedom to do ALL the things at camp! I met more amazing young (and old) women!
No comments:
Post a Comment