Many of my friends don't get along with their parents, don't like their parents for some reason, or don't live with both of their parents. I have been lucky enough to live with both of my parents my whole life and love them both very much. Sure sometimes I don't like what they are saying/doing but I love them all the same. Over this break (ok, yesterday and today) I have realized how great of a person my dad is.
My dad has worked for several paper making companies as a "computer dude" He has done this as long as I can remember working hard enough to support my whole family (my mom hasn't had a job since before I was born). He goes biking or hiking on the weekends when the weather is nice and works out at the gym almost everyday before work. He encourages me and my siblings to do the best that we can possibly do (and sometimes even better than that) in school. He spent the weekends when we were little playing soccer or kickball or t-ball with me and my siblings.
My dad is an amazing cook. While many of my friends live on takeout food or frozen dinners I got home cooked meals most nights. My mom is a great cook too, her mac and cheese is amazing. But my dad goes a step further. He honestly could have been a gourmet chef had he not decided to work with computers. My dad has cooked for many dinner parties and many family dinners. His favorite chefs include Alton Brown and Jamie Oliver. When I was a child my dad almost always allowed me and my siblings in the kitchen or at the bar so we could watch or even help him cook. One of the stories told over and over again in my house was that my sister and I were playing with some left over pizza dough that my dad had made and I kept dropping mine on the floor. He would patiently pick it up, hand it to me and tell me not to throw it. Eventually I learned that food needs to stay on the counter while you are making it. Because of my dad I have a love of cooking today and am working hard to be as good as him. I love when he tells me a dinner I made tastes wonderful. He has also supported me a lot in my decision to become vegetarian making sides that I can eat, always subbing vegetable broth for chicken broth when he thinks I might eat something. He also makes me wonderful vegetarian dishes whenever I am home.
Saturday my dad and I were going to the grocery store (a place we both love) and as always he locked the door to the house when we left despite the fact that everyone else was still home. I had always wondered why he did this as it was a pain to unlock when he got back and had arms full of groceries. So I asked him why he did it. My dad responded, "I want to protect you guys" I thought that was really kind of him. Another thing that happened on this trip was I was talking about how I needed more Girl Scout cookies and he was saying that usually when he ran into Girl Scouts selling cookies at the store the adults recognized him and told the girls not to ask him (my sis and I sell cookies). He also added that twice when he went he had happened to have four dollars in his wallet so he gave the money to them for Operation Cookie Drop because as he pointed out he didn't need the cookies. Then he told me the story about how one little Daisy had come up to him very enthusiastically to ask him to buy cookies and he bent down to be on her level and explained that he had two Girl Scouts of his own at home. =)
Now my dad doesn't like animals that much. He grew up with them but it seems like he just tolerates the cats and dogs that live in our house. But sometimes I will catch him petting Ben when Ben goes over to the side of his chair.
Dad also is always great about having people over. He has never threatened any of my sister's or my boyfriends. He has told me and my sister to be careful because he "knows what teenage boys are like" but he is nice to them. He always asks my sister and I who will be there for dinner (and if we will be there) when he is making it.
My dad likes to be a part of me and my sibling's lives. He helped out the Girl Scouts by being a service unit cookie manager for several years. He helps out my brother with Boy Scouts, going to meetings with him and helping him train for 50 mile hikes. He will help my siblings and me with homework whenever we ask. My dad is one of the biggest influences on my life, and I am who I am today in a large part because of him =)
No comments:
Post a Comment